This is Germantown Avenue at Northwestern Avenue in Chestnut Hill, circa 1910. Photographer is standing in Philadelphia, looking across Northwestern Avenue into Montgomery County. This is the point where passengers transferred between Philadelphia Rapid Transit Co. trolleys, and Norristown trolleys. This Schuylkill Valley Traction Company trolley is signed for Trooper, a small town three miles above Norristown.
Freight trolleys rolled through this point, running on the tracks of both systems.
PRT Route 23B trolleys were replaced by the Route X bus in 1928. In late1931 the suburban trolleys would also be replaced by buses.
The restaurant at left is still in business, today known as Bruno's.
Return to Schuylkill Valley Transit article
Return to Philadelphia Trolley Tracks main page.