Philadelphia trolley photos from
the Harry Foesig Collection
Philadelphia Rapid Transit
Company funeral trolley, the "Hillside," named for the cemetery in
suburban Abington Township.
Built in July 1912, scrapped in 1932.
Seats were provided for forty mourners and six pall bearers. The casket was
placed in the space below the large window.
The location of this photo is near Willow Grove Park.
Harold E. Cox noted wryly that the provision of a hard wooden bench seat opposite
"presumably was to put the pall bearers in a proper somber state
Built primarily to serve Hillside Cemetery, Dr. Cox notes "almost every cemetery
in the city of Philadelphia used the car at one time or another."
Harry Foesig collection
Return to A. W. Maginnis Collection
Return to Philadelphia Trolley
Tracks main page