|In 1908 Montgomery
County Rapid Transit Company purchased two large railroad-style electric trolley
cars from Stephenson Car Company. Later a third, similar trolley was
purchased second-hand from the nearby Montgomery Traction Company (an
early Lansdale - to - Norristown trolley). In 1917 the heavy, old cars
were "traded in" for three modern, lightweight steel cars. Because Harleysville (listed
as a destination on the sign) wasn't reached until 1912, this photo had to have been taken between
1912 and 1917. The location of the
photo is uncertain. It's possible that the camera is looking southwest
along the road between Lederach and Harleysville (at the present-day
intersection of PA Route 113 and Old Morris Road). The track diverging
off to the right could be the one that served the trolley company's
stone quarry (today a pond surrounded by woods).
This photo is also published in Jay Ruth's Looking
at Lower Salford, published in 1984. In it, the photo is credited
to Alice Wismer and the trolley crew are identified as "Effinger"
and Hif Hartman. Lester K. Wismer collection
Lester K. Wismer collection
Return to Montgomery Transit Company article
Return to Philadelphia Trolley Tracks main page.