Philadelphia Trolley Tracks: Hydro-Powered
Beginning in 1914, hydro-electric
power generated near Phoenixville powered Reading Transit & Light trolleys in
Located at Lock 60 on the Schuylkill River, three hydro-electric turbines sent
electricity 4 miles to the RT&L power house in Collegeville.
Today only the foundation remains, along the Schuylkill River at Black Rock
Dam in Montgomery County's Lock 60 Recreation Area.
Three round plugs in the concrete floor mark the location of the long-gone turbines.
photo from Harry L. Rinker's The Schuylkill Navigation
Return to Philadelphia Trolley
Tracks main page